Consult an Expert about Shortness of Breath
Shortness of breath is a warning sign that should not be ignored at all costs. It may seem trivial at first glance, but it can actually be indicative of a far more fatal health condition. There is even a possibility that it may be a symptom of undiagnosed heart disease.
Don’t put your heart in danger. If you think that you may have a shortness of breath, it’s important that you seek medical assistance from Apex Heart and Vascular Center as soon as possible. We have a team of experts that can help you overcome shortness of breath and treat any heart problems that it may be related with at the same time.
Common Questions You May Have About Shortness of Breath
What heart problems are related to shortness of breath?
Shortness of breath is often caused by conditions which affect the heart and lungs. This is because both these vital organs are responsible for delivering oxygen and removing carbon dioxide throughout your body. This means that if a problem occurs in either of these processes, your normal breathing pattern will be affected.
However, shortness of breath may also be solely attributed to a heart problem as well. In fact, there are several heart diseases or conditions which list shortness of breath as one of its key symptoms:
- A heart attack
- Coronary Heart Disease
- Heart valve disease
- Heart failure
- Heart arrhythmias
- Enlarged heart
- Pulmonary hypertension
What are the signs that shortness of breath should be reviewed by a cardiologist?
Chronic shortness of breath is not something that should be ignored. You should definitely have it checked by a medical professional when…
- Shortness of breath is experienced chronically.
- Shortness of breath is present even though you are at rest.
- Shortness of breath is able to interfere with your daily living tasks.
- Shortness of breath is accompanied by chest pains and other related discomforts.
- Shortness of breath is felt together with unexplained fatigue or weakness.
What are the tests used to diagnose the cause of shortness of breath?
Apex Heart and Vascular Center has a medical team that is aptly trained and equipped with the latest diagnostic tools which will assist them in selecting the best course of treatment for your case.
Tests that are employed to determine the reason behind shortness of breath include:
An electrocardiogram (EKG)
– It is a non-invasive procedure which makes use of electrodes to read and interpret the activity of your heart.
– It is a diagnostic procedure which employs sound waves in order to produce images of your heart.
– It is a portable device which allows the continuous monitoring of your entire cardiovascular system’s electrical activity.
Cardiac stress tests
– It is a procedure which aims to measure how well your heart is able to function under various levels of stress.